The purpose of the title sequence is to hint towards the theme of the film, not to tell the story. Having very little plot in the title sequence is a good aim to have.
If we look at Se7en we can see what we are looking for in a title sequence.
- Typography is key in hinting at the theme/story.
- Audio adds to the atmosphere of it.
- The amount of cuts and different images makes it more intense.
- Hinting at the theme from words on the screen in newspapers, photos without any story being told.
- Specific order of the credits and roles.
I can relate this to my main task as I need to create the same form of media and do it to a high standard of quality, just like Se7en has shown.
- Research into typography.
- Look into different genres and themes.
- Find out more about the history of title sequences.