Double Exposure Final Attempt
My final attempt at creating double exposure using After Effects. This time I followed a simpler tutorial and added my own customisations to the end look. Using this method instead of the other one, was much faster and looked much better overall. I did combine skills that I learnt from the previous method to this one, showing how this has helped my coursework, as I am slowly picking up the skills I need when creating/using this for my main task.
Step By Step Guide:
1) Like last time, I removed the green screen by using the Keylight (1.2) and selecting the green, so it would be transparent.
2) Then I added a solid white background, and put this at the bottom of the composition list. (Layer > New > Solid…)
3) Made both of the layers visible, to see how it looks so far.
4) Added in the tree layer, then set the mode to screen.
5) Made the tree layer not visible. Then duplicate the person layer (Ctrl-D) Then made the new copied layer into black and white.
6) Then I used the Effects > Colour Correction > Curves, to alter the intensity of the black and white look. Making the shadows and highlights more visible.
7) Next I set that layers mode to overlay, to allow the previous layers to all show through.
8) This is the final stage of the tutorial, the next steps are all my ideas. I liked the look, but didn’t like the saturated orange colours and wanted parts of the trees to move more.
9) So first of all I duplicated the tree layer, pressed S, to change the scale. I distorted the image and moved it around. Then I pressed P, which is the position of the clip. I positioned the new trees then pressed the blue stopwatch button, then moved to the end of the video, moved the layer around. This made a start and finish for the layer for it move across throughout the video. I then started to alter the colour of the layers.
10) I played around with different colours and found Colourama, which creates rainbows and bright funky colours.
11) I changed the Modify section to Red, which created this pretty red and blue look on the trees.
12) I didn’t want it to stay this bright, so I increased the Blend With Original, to 94% which made it have lovely blue and pink tones.
13) I did the same with the other tree layer, to make the colours look like this.
14) I turned the other layers back on, and this is the final result.
Doing this helped my research and my planning into my final piece as I could experiment and decide what I wanted the final outcome to look like, there has been a major improvement compared to my other post. I know that there are multiple ways in doing or creating something, and the simpler way isn’t necessarily the bad way to do it. It has also made me more confident when using After Effects and hopefully I can apply it to the final result of the main task.