After Effects – Titles: Bloody White Rose

For my final piece I wanted to create something which went well with our piece by also challenged what you might normally see in thriller films. Most use a boring effects, which just fade in and out. But for ours I wanted there to be some sort of mystery to go along with our narrative. 

First Test:

I first tried to do something along these things, but it didn’t work at all, as the effect didn’t fit in with our piece. It was too much going on in comparison to the clips. So from this, I knew that I did need something sharp and simple like in other thriller films, but with a twist.

Final Choice:

This brought me on to create something like this. These effects might normally be seen in an action film or crime film. But I think I made this work well in our piece, as it works with the aspect of the surgeon and the murderer e.g. what did the surgeon do, was technology involved, the glitches also represent being unstable and flickers of being out of control, which our murder expresses. Therefore, this effect works really fantastically with our final product. 

Here are some screenshots from the creation of the main title:

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 11.45.37

Firstly in the media placeholder, I put in an image which the title sequence would be placed over, this was then duplicated and layered with different effects. Top one was inverted, the second was zoomed in tiny bit and last was the original. This created the background that you see in the final piece.

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 11.46.02

Then I went on use my typeface and edit it to be exactly how I wanted it to be. This was large letters, not all in a straight line, misplaced, with the word white in the colour red. This meant I had to edit the font on the original typeface to create this design.

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 11.46.08

Here are the actual settings I used for my main title, for the word White. I made it so the letters had more space between them, which made it have a better thriller feel to it. Increasing the size of the letters also did this, as it adds a dramatic effects.

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 11.45.21

This is what the overall title looks like.

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 11.46.34

To create the glitch effect. I had to separate each letter in each word so I could physically move pieces around in their own path. To create the glitch effect, at certain moments in the composition, I use two duplicated layers of the title, and changed one of them to red and the other to a blue colour, like a 3D effect. To make the letters move around in the same place and at the same time, I used the same features like I did for the Nicobe Studios logo. I selected the render comp and then the time scaling tool, which is like a little stopwatch logo. Then at certain moments, I make it so the logo goes up and then down at certain points, and the same for zooming in and out. 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s